Madrid airport bus
The Madrid airport bus service
direct to Madrids city center train station at Atocha started operations at the end of November 2010.
The 24hr service is now a cost competitive alternative
to the Madrid Metro and almost as quick as the Madrid Taxis, where the bus cannot compete is with the "exclusivity" of a private transfer.
The service is operated by specially adapted buses that allow for disabled access and are internally configured with
racks for transport of luggage.
To recognise this special service amongst the other buses you need only look for the bright yellow airport bus which also has a baggage tag wrapped around its center structure. All other buses in Madrid
are red, blue or green (see here for more on the other Madrid buses)
Times and prices
Operating 24hrs the Madrid airport bus has slightly longer journey times during the day at 30 minutes compared to
at night when less traffic sees the trip in either direction take no more than 20 minutes. Be aware that in "rush hours", 0730 - 0930 and again at 1630 - 1930, the journey time can be longer.
At just 2€ in each direction the Madrid airport bus costs exactly the same as the Metro.
Stops / Halts
Inside Madrids Barajas airport the bus serves the lower arrivals areas at Terminal 4 and Terminal 2 with passengers
arriving at terminals 1 and 3 having a short, covered and inside walk to the stop at Terminal 2 (approx 7 minute walk with baggage).
From the airport the coach calls at:
- Calle O Donnell (Metro station)
- Ciebeles (Metro Banco de España)
- Atocha train station (Train, Metro
and Cercanias services).
The new airport bus in Madrid allows passengers to make quick connections to a number of other important transport hubs by combining with the Metro. The following are the principal connections:
- Bus station Menendez Alvaro / Estacion del sur - Airport bus to O Donnell then Metro should see a total journey time of approx 45 minutes.
- Sol / Gran Via - Bus to Ciebeles then a short walk of approx 300 meters to Metro Banco de España or Walking direct to Sol 10 minutes, Gran Via 7 minutes (This is to the begining of Gran Via, which is a very long street, therefore compare your destination / address with the metro stop).
- Art Triangle (Prado, Reina Sofia & Thyssen) - From Ciebeles these are approx 10 minutes walking.
- Chamartin train station / Cercanias - The Cercanias station of Recoletes is around 300 meters from Ciebeles and offers direct train services throughout
the Community of Madrid area (state / county of Madrid).
Check your arrival terminal to determine which Madrid airport bus stop is appropriate...>
[Getting to Madrid]